Secrets of the Goat People is an ongoing literary zine from Bleating Heart Press, publisher of Women Write About Comics. We publish original prose, illustration, and comics by women and non-binary people. You can find our first issue “Voice” here on Gumroad.
We had a lot of fun working on the first issue, and now it’s time to start the submissions process for our next issues. Our next themes, which will round out Goat People season one, are:
- Volume 2: Resistance
- Volume 3: Searching
- Volume 4: The Body Fantastic
Starting Wednesday, May 1 we’ll be accepting submissions for our fourth issue, “The Body Fantastic,” guest edited by J.A. Micheline.
We’re looking for:
- Short fiction or prose (500-750 words)
- One-page, b&w or greyscale illustrations or comics
- Long fiction or prose (2,500-3,000 words)
- Mid-length, b&w or greyscale comics (6-8 pages)
We are accepting unpublished work, new or old. If the work has been published, we’ll accept it if it’s been newly expanded and unpublished in its current form. We will also accept previously published works that have been newly translated into English.
We particularly encourage submissions from marginalized creators, including LGBTQIA and PoC creators.
Details and Requirements
Because Women Write About Comics was founded to promote the voices of marginalized creators, we will only accept submissions from women and non-binary writers.
- May 1 – June 6
- Word document
- Times New Roman
- 12 point font
- Double spaced
Comics and Illustration:
- TIFF or JPEG
- Multi-page comics should be sent as a zip file or dropbox link
- B&W (NO COLOUR)
- 350 dpi at size (i.e. 5.5 x 8.5)
In your submission you should also include:
- A link to your online portfolio – if you have one
- Bio (1-2 sentences in third person)
- Preferred publication name
- Title of submission (“Untitled” will not be accepted)
What’ll We Pay You?
Payment will be issued after work is received and the editorial process is complete. You must submit a name and valid email address. Payment will be sent via PayPal (as payment for a service or product) within ten business days of editorial completion.
- Short fiction or prose: $50
- One-page illustration or comic: $50
- Long fiction or prose: $200
- Mid-length comic: $200
- Cover art: $200
We reserve exclusive rights for one year in Canada, the U.S., and the U.K. After one year, the work may be reprinted as long as attribution is given to Bleating Heart Press as the original publisher. Exceptions may be negotiated in writing.
Submit your finished piece via email to email@example.com. Feel free to contact the team about pitches or if you have questions about submissions.