It’s the Year of the Knockoff here at WWAC, and to illustrate just how samey comic book characters have been, I’m going to chain together all of their names, using an element of the last one to pick the next one. I’ll also mention their other name(s) and where they’re “from.” For the sake of brevity, these will be either the title they first appeared in or the title they’re most connected to, which is super subjective, so don’t @ me.
Last week’s list ended with the Scarlet Spider, clone-brother of Marvel’s Peter Parker, aka Spider-Man. And from there, we move to…
- Scarlet Witch (Wanda Maximoff), Avengers, Marvel
- Witchblade (Sara Pezzini), Witchblade, Top Cow
- Blade (Eric Brooks), Tomb of Dracula, Marvel
- Warblade (Reno Bryce), WildC.A.T.S, Wildstorm
- Eternal Warrior (Gilad Anni-Padda), Eternal Warrior, Valiant
- Warrior (Guy Gardner), JLA, DC
- War Machine (James Rhodes), Iron Man, Marvel
- Machine Man (Aaron Stack), Avengers, Marvel
- Batman (Bruce Wayne), Detective Comics, DC
- Man-Bat (Kirk Langstrom), Detective Comics, DC
And who’s next? Here’s a clue: Our next chunk of name-game ends with Catman. How might we get from here to there in ten? Can you do it? Come back next week to compare scores, esteemed and eloquent epithet experts!