It’s the Year of the Knockoff here at WWAC, and to illustrate just how samey comic book characters have been, I’m going to chain together all of their names, using an element of the last one to pick the next one. I’ll also mention their other name(s) and where they’re “from.” For the sake of brevity, these will be either the title they first appeared in or the title they’re most connected to, which is super subjective, so don’t @ me.
Last week’s ended with Baron Zemo (Heinrich and Helmut Zemo), first of Marvel’s Captain America. Where do we go next? Read on:
- Baron Mordo (Karl Amadeus Mordo), Doctor Strange, Marvel
- Baron Blitzkrieg, Wonder Woman, DC
- Blitzkrieg (Franz Mittelstaedt), Captain America, Marvel
- Mace Blitzkrieg (that’s his actual name), Barb Wire, Dark Horse
- Mace Windu, Star Wars, Marvel
- Northwind, All-Star Squadron, DC (I know Windu → Wind is a bit of a cop-out, but we need to get this back on track)
- Northstar (Jean-Paul Beubier), Alpha Flight, Marvel
- Starman (Jack and Ted Knight), Justice Society of America, DC
- Spider-Man (Peter Parker), The Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel
- Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly and Kaine Parker), Scarlet Spider, Marvel
And who’s next? Here’s a clue: Our next chunk of name-game ends with Man-Bat. How might we get from here to there in ten? Can you do it? Come back next week to compare scores, you titans of titling!