Here in the Northern Hemisphere, it’s pretty darn cold. I’ve been keeping out of the Chicago winter with some warm comics reading, and I encourage you to do the same! Here’s what’s good, what’s bad, and what’s just comics:
I, like everyone else with an ounce of free time and access to the internet, am a huge fan of Netflix, particularly their original series. While there are so many great things coming up, webcomic fans have a show that will especially please them. Love Alarm will be Netflix’s first original Korean drama, and it’s based on the webcomic by the same name.
Love Alarm is written and drawn by Chon Kye-Young and tells the story of a software developer who creates an app that tells the user if anyone in a close radius has a crush on them. The Netflix series will be live action and you can binge it in 2018.
March by John Lewis, a Georgia Congressman, tells the story tells the story of the American civil rights movement in three volumes. It’s also the first graphic novel to ever win a National Book Award. The story is told from the point of view of Lewis himself, who was helped by an artist and a writer in creating the comic.
“Transrealities, a sci-fi superhero trans comic from trans writer Abigail Brady and Double D’s artist Steven Horry debuted a small print run at Thought Bubble last year.” Now you don’t have to be one of the lucky few who got their hands on the hard copies of the comic, it’s available in full color on Comixology. Only the first of five issues is out so far, but it’s already receiving positive reviews from big names in the industry. The story is about a trans superhero who is forced to confront her past.
- Alfonso Wong, creator of Lao Fu Zi, has passed away at 93 years old.
- Alterna Comics is cutting prices by returning to printing on newsprint.
- According to It’s Nice That, “The New Yorker’s art editor Françoise Mouly and her daughter, writer Nadja Spiegelman, have guest edited a protest comic named Resist! The publication is being […] distributed for free in Washington D.C. on 20 January, Trump’s presidential inauguration day, and at the Women’s March on 21 January.”
- In April, S.H.I.E.L.D. fans have a solo Nick Fury comic run to look forward to from Marvel.
- The Netflix and Marvel bond continues with The Punisher, and five cast members have been announced.
- English-reading fans can finally enjoy the 2014 graphic novel adaptation of Moby Dick by Christophe Chabouté.
- Gerard Jones, comic book author, is suspected of uploading child pornography to YouTube.
- A comic book store in Alabama took a major hit when an SUV drove through it.
- Sammy Borras draws zines of bands in concert. Who doesn’t love a good music zine?