The GLAAD Media Awards, granted by the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community and the issues that affect their lives.
Each year, they honor excellence in print and digital media, television, movies and comic books. This year’s winner for Outstanding Comic Book is the beloved book, Rat Queens, the on-going dark fantasy series about a group of irreverent “booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire.” The title was nominated for a 2014 Eisner Award for Best New Series and comes with two thumbs up from not one, by two WWAC staffers in our holiday guide. So you know it’s good.
The nominees for this year’s GLAAD award for Outstanding Comic Book included:
- Hawkeye by Matt Fraction, Annie Wu, Chris Eliopoulos and David Aja from Marvel Comics
- Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis andBrooke Allen from BOOM! Studios
- Memetic by James Tynion IV and Eryk Donovan from BOOM! Studios
- Rat Queens by Kurtis J. Wiebe and Stjepan Šejić (former artist Roc Upchurch) from Image Comics
- Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples from Image Comics
Great work to all the nominees! Notably missing from the list of publishers is DC Comics. Here’s hoping that they join the club for 2016.