In case you didn’t know:
Women do write about comics, guys. Seriously, a lot.
Our beat is comics, creators, and geek culture from a feminist perspective. We are committed to intersectionality and internationality (our diverse staff hails from Canada, the UK, Switzerland, Brazil, and the United States). And while we’re an unabashedly feminist, unapologetically ladies-first operation, we have a healthy contingent of cis men reading, as well as women and non-binary folks. We must be doing something right…right?
We are currently seeking:
Lois Lanes, Brenda Starrs, Girl Fridays. The WWAC news crew seeks reporters: women with a knack for sniffing out stories and who pride themselves on their unquenchable curiosity. Got your finger on the pulse of comics, publishing, gaming, or feminist news? Ever find yourself tracing a story back to its origins and then following it all the way to the final escalation? We’re looking for writers who aren’t afraid to dig into a story and give us their two (or twenty, or fifty) cents on it.
- Strong writing ability (and knowledge of Chicago Manual of Style)
- An interest in reporting and journalism
- A desire to improve writing skills through constructive criticism and dialogue
- The ability to analyze news through a feminist lens
- The ability to provide a quick turnaround time and timely pitches
- Availability to quickly take on news posts
What we expect:
- You are great at responding to emails promptly
- You are full of ideas
- You have a bloodhound’s instinct and tenacity
- You can commit to writing at least 2-3 short posts a week and 1 or more longer follow-ups
- You love networking and research
- You feel comfortable reaching out to industry pros for comment
What we can offer you:
WWAC is an amazing forum for feminist examination of geek culture. As a WWAC reporter, you’ll be a part of a supportive community of women writers who will help you develop your writing ability and build your portfolio. You’ll have the freedom to pitch stories you’re interested in, and to follow up short news posts with longer features.
To make the best decision of your life and apply:
Send the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Two sample news pitches and posts (no more than 300 words each, please).
- Areas of expertise and levels of expertise. Are you a wiz at social media? Got a network of informants? Have you written for a newspaper or blog before?
- Other examples of your writing. This could be your tumblr, writing samples, your blog, posts for other sites, etc. The more the merrier.
- What’s your availability?
- What do you hope to get out of writing for WWAC?
- Is there a specific news area you are most interested in covering? (Comics, publishing, etc.)
- A description of yourself and your flavor of feminism.