It’s the Year of the Knockoff here at WWAC, and to illustrate just how samey comic book characters have been, I’m going to chain together all of their names, using an element of the last one to pick the next one. I’ll also mention their other name(s) and where they’re “from.” For the sake of brevity, these will be either the title they first appeared in or the title they’re most connected to, which is super subjective, so don’t @ me.
Last week’s list ended with Owlman, who is tougher than Batman, if certain parties are to be believed. Such as “nature,” one assumes. And we go on:
- Toyman (Winslow Schott et al), Action Comics, DC
- Gentleman Ghost (Jim Craddock), Flash Comics, DC
- Signalman (Phil Cobb), Batman, DC
- Calendar Man (Julian Gregory Day), Detective Comics, DC
- Miracle Man, Fantastic Four, Marvel
- Mister Miracle (Scott Free and Shilo Norman), Mister Miracle, DC
- Mister Fantastic (Reed Richards), Fantastic Four, Marvel
- Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex), Uncanny X-Men, Marvel
- Sinestro (Thaal Sinestro), Green Lantern, DC
And who’s next? Here’s where we ran aground. Whose name starts with Tro? Can you recall one? Hmm . . . perhaps it’s time to register some trademarks.