Happy Wednesday! What have you been playing recently? I started Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and am enjoying the banter between Chloe and Nadine and the familiar wall-climbing, rope-throwing gameplay. Let us know in the comments or on Twitter what games you’re playing, as well as upcoming games you’re looking forward to! Here are some of the games news and tidbits that have been on our radar this week.
Before the Storm is much better and much queerer than expected
Life is Strange: Before the Storm‘s first episode released on August 31st. I had very low expectations given that the developers are mostly middle-aged dudes. Like many fans of the franchise, I was concerned that Chloe and Rachel’s romantic relationship would be sidestepped, leaving us with yet another example of disappointing queer representation. Melissa Brinks recently interviewed lead writer Zak Garriss and Ashly Burch about the game, and you should definitely check it out. I’m happy to say that the game has exceeded my expectations and those of other queer fans (watch YouTube channel Geek Remix’s playthrough of Before the Storm for similar thoughts).
I’ve played the episode twice since its release. There are many scenes and lines of dialogue that highlight Chloe’s sexuality, including one of her journal entries right at the beginning of the game. Chloe and Rachel’s voice actors are phenomenal at making every beat of dialogue and characterization feel emotionally honest. If you’re playing Before the Storm, let us know your thoughts in the comments or on Twitter! Here’s my commentary-free playthrough of the full episode so you can see what it’s like for yourself:
Upcoming game releases
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, the popular multiplayer shooter that’s currently available for PC, will be released on Xbox One later this year. It’s unclear yet whether the game will be released on PS4.
- Destiny 2 released today on Xbox One and PS4. It’s coming to PC on October 24th.
- A demo of Fire Emblem Warriors, featuring Dynasty Warriors-style combat, was shown at PAX West. It comes to Nintendo Switch on October 20th.
- Capcom’s Puzzle Fighter will be released for iOS and Android later this year.
- Any Sonic the Hedgehog fans? A new game, Sonic Forces, releases on November 7th for Nintendo Switch, PS4, and Xbox One.
- Metroid: Samus Returns, a remake of Metroid II, releases on September 15th on Nintendo 3DS. Here’s an early review.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 2 doesn’t have a release date yet, but it’s coming to Nintendo Switch later this year.
- Nintendo announced 20 new indie games that are coming to Switch. Here’s the full list.
- Oxenfree, a spooky narrative-driven game with many devoted fans, is coming to Nintendo Switch. It’s currently available on PC, Xbox One, PS4, and iOS.
More recent news
- Translucent DualShock 4 controllers for PS4 are coming to GameStop, Walmart, and Best Buy this month.
- A professional League of Legends team spoke out about how teams are losing money due to the financial structure put in place by the game’s developer, Riot Games.
- Have you ever wanted a turn-based role-playing game mashed up with a rhythm dance game? The Metronomicon: Slay The Dance Floor (yes, it’s really called that) is a recent release on PC, Xbox One, and PS4 where players complete rhythm sequences in order to make their characters do various combat abilities.
- The publisher of Stardew Valley is working on a new game teased as “Stardew Valley meets Harry Potter.” It’s set in a magic school, and we’re definitely intrigued! No release date news yet, unfortunately.
- Breaking Bad and The Godfather tabletop games have been announced.