Scan For Discussion: NSFW, But Hella Worth It

Sometimes I think to myself, "Ugh, whatever, Go Nagai." But then sometimes he does something like Tenkuu no Inu, which—somehow—has no official English translation. And I'm like, Yeesssssssss   Because reader. Reader. Feast your eyes.   What do we think? Does this make you want to know more? Can it be bought on t-shirts? What even

Sometimes I think to myself, “Ugh, whatever, Go Nagai.”

But then sometimes he does something like Tenkuu no Inu, which—somehow—has no official English translation. And I’m like,

Yeesssssssss

Because reader. Reader. Feast your eyes.

Tenkuu no Inu, Go Nagai, Kodansha, 2004

What do we think? Does this make you want to know more? Can it be bought on t-shirts? What even is Go Nagai? Let’s hear your thoughts. Mine are frozen in awe.

11 comments
Claire Napier
ADMINISTRATOR
PROFILE

Posts Carousel

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

11 Comments

• Fudou Akira
    April 6, 2014, 5:58 am

Go Nagai is one of the best (surely my favorite) comic/manga artists of all time, with classic works and a great “diversity” of themes (boobs, death, violence, humor, etc). I believe you really should read the original Devilman or Black Lion. He is not for everyone and there are disturbing, often repulsing images and developments in his work, but anyone interested in sci-fi/fantasy/horror should check his work out.

• Claire@Fudou Akira
      April 15, 2014, 2:07 pm

I’ve dipped into both. There’s a review of his Cinderella Knight coming up in a Short & Sweet post of Friday (watch for it!) and I’ve been reading Tenkuu No Inu (above) at a slow & steady pace. Nagai certainly does like his themes–when I’ve read a few more of his titles I think I’ll be writing something longer. I find Nagai a very puzzling creator.

• Fudou Akira@Claire
        April 15, 2014, 3:12 pm

First of all, thank you for your reply.

If I may say say, though I have not read Cinderella Knight, I know this is not considered one of his best works. I strongly (if I could I would underline this) suggest Devilman, the original work. For me it is something beyond comparison.

Yes, he is a writer with many conflicting ideas, sometimes for the best, others for the worst.

I would only like to give you one advice: be very careful with some stories, like Devilman Lady and Violence Jack. Though I do love those stories, there is so much rape or other sexual violence in their pages, that you should avoid them if you are not into those subjects.

I can’t wait to read your article!

• CSarracenian
    April 2, 2014, 3:56 pm

I thought this was gonna be Devilman Lady.

I’m not sure whether this is better or worse.

(Okay its better. Its imperative to keep Devilman Lady as far away from human memory as possible)

• Getterzinger Hi@CSarracenian
      April 2, 2014, 4:50 pm

I loved Devilman Lady.

It’s one of my favourite Go Nagai manga.

• Claire@Getterzinger Hi
        April 2, 2014, 5:54 pm

Tell us why! You too, CSarracenian.

• Getterzinger Hi@Claire
          April 3, 2014, 11:56 am

It’s a direct sequel to Devilman. The first few volumes are a bit slow with the episodic stuff, but then, it goes absolutely insane in every way imaginable. I think you need to read it before I can tell you my thoughts with spoilers.

• Claire@CSarracenian
      April 2, 2014, 5:55 pm

If Devilman Lady has anything like Despondent Bellyface here, I am FAR more interested than I thought.