Happy Wednesday! The E3 conference is in full swing with announcements galore, which we’ll explore below. Meanwhile, what have you been playing lately? I’ve been playing the indie mobile game A Normal Lost Phone. Its teen protagonist has gone missing, and it’s up to you to piece together what happened by reading their text messages and other phone contents. Let us know in the comments or on Twitter what you’ve been playing!
Life is Strange: Before the Storm
Life is Strange fans rejoice: we’re getting a prequel game, and the first episode is out August 31st! Life is Strange: Before the Storm stars Chloe three years before the events of the original game. We’ll see how she and Rachel met. Ashly Burch is part of the writing team, but is not reprising the role of Chloe. The game will consist of three episodes, with a special bonus episode in the Deluxe Edition where we play as Max before the events of Before the Storm.
The announcement post from developers Deck Nine Games confirms that there are now two Life is Strange games in development, since DONTNOD is also working on a new game. Since LiS is more important to me than life (I’m barely exaggerating), I completely sobbed through the Before the Storm announcement trailer:
Anthem, a new game from BioWare
BioWare announced Anthem, a brand new game and IP releasing in fall 2018. It is open-world and players form squads of up to four players. Characters wear exosuits called Javelins which grant the character all sorts of abilities. If you’re wondering if there are many tweets saying this sounds like a mash-up of Destiny and Titanfall, the answer is yes.
Here’s what the gameplay looks like:
More E3 announcements
- Microsoft gave its next console, previously called Project Scorpio, a permanent name: Xbox One X. It releases on November 7th for $499.99, offers 4K resolution, and its graphics processor is over four times more powerful than that in the Xbox One.
- The long-awaited Kingdom Hearts 3 still doesn’t have a release date, but it does have a new trailer.
- Assassin’s Creed Origins will release October 27th.
- Bethesda announced a slew of new games, including Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Doom VFR, Fallout 4 VR, and The Evil Within 2. See all the trailers here. Also: Skyrim is coming to the Nintendo Switch!
- Super Mario Odyssey for Nintendo Switch was expected to be Nintendo’s main property featured at E3. As of this post’s writing, we’re still waiting on news.
Recent news and tidbits
- Women had 7% of the speaking time at Apple’s WWDC keynote.
- Here’s a longread on Mass Effect: Andromeda‘s troubled, delay-ridden development.
- Have you ever wanted a gold-colored PS4? You’re in luck! The gold-colored PS4 console is available for $249 until June 17, when the price increases to $299.
- Here’s a roundup of reviews of new tabletop games, including Space Invaders: Dice.
- There’s a locked door in the online MMO Tibia that only two players who reached level 999 have gone through, but they’re not telling what’s behind it.
- Pokken Tournament DX is coming to Nintendo Switch.
- The classic Pokemon Gold and Silver will be released on 3DS Virtual Console.
- For $100, you’ll be able to publish your own game on Steam through their upcoming initiative, Steam Direct.