Happy Free Comic Book (News) Monday! How was your FCBD? Did you check out Ardo’s awesome guide to Free Comic Book Day, and Alenka’s review of Spill Night? (You can take a peek and come back, I won’t tell.) Onward to comics news!
- The 2017 Eisner Awards nominations have been announced! WomenWriteAboutComics.com is proud to be nominated for Best Comics-Related Periodical/Journalism, and we thank you, our wonderful audience, for your continued support!
- In a move that has all of Themyscira asking, “Are you #$@&^* serious right now?” the Wonder Woman promotional machine has controversially teamed up with ThinkThin diet protein bars. Gee, I wonder why we don’t see Batman on cans of Slim Fast?
- Marvel is now offering select titles on the Comixology Unlimited subscription service. Titles include modern classics like the first volume of Runaways and recent big issues like America #1.
- In Toronto, the Mayworks Festival of Working People and the Arts featured the workshop “Writing While Black,” about intersectional and politically-minded zines created by people of color. Says facilitator Whitney French, “Where else are you going to read a memoir/perzine from a Black queer disabled kid from small-town Ontario who loves video games?”
- The trailer for the little-known and under-hyped Netflix series The Defenders is here. I am all about Jessica Jones meeting Matt Murdock, but this is my favorite reaction to the trailer so far:
When you're incompetent but your friends are counting on you. pic.twitter.com/8Wsc7ZQI9A
— Daniel Switzer (@daniel_switzer) May 3, 2017