Fellow Trekkies, whether or not you’re a fan of the new movies (which are actually quite fun), here’s an opportunity for you to pretend to be Captain Janeway and hang out on the bridge.
The cast of the Star Trek film franchise has created The Star Trek: To Boldly Go campaign via Omaze, which will support the cast’s personal selection of nine global causes. Fans enter for a chance to win a walk-on role in Star Trek Beyond.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-COeaGn5x0&w=560&h=315]
For each $10 contribution made through the Omaze fundraising platform, eligible participants will be automatically entered for a chance to win this once-in-a-lifetime experience. The Grand Prize winner will be transformed into a Star Trek character and filmed for a scene in Star Trek Beyond.
The nine charities supported through the campaign are:
- Brave Beginnings, an organization dedicated to ensuring that ventilators and life-saving neonatal equipment are always available to newborns in critical need. Nominated by Zoë Saldana.
- Camp Sunshine, a place where children with life-threatening illnesses and their families can regroup, reenergize, and restore hope for the future. Nominated by Anton Yelchin.
- Direct Relief International, one of the premiere disaster relief organizations that operates worldwide. Nominated by Zachary Quinto.
- Heaven Homes, an organization helping establish children’s homes and centers, while providing secure, safe and loving environments where children can be nurtured to realize their full potential. Nominated by Idris Elba.
- KidsCan, an organization that provides food, clothing and healthcare to disadvantaged youth in New Zealand. Nominated by Karl Urban.
- Koreatown Youth & Community Center, an organization serving the evolving needs of the Korean American population in the greater Los Angeles area as well as the multiethnic Koreatown community. Nominated by John Cho.
- Make-A-Wish, whose remarkable work is making wishes come true every day for children suffering from lifethreatening illnesses. Nominated by Chris Pine.
- Time is Precious, an organization helping to create a more comfortable and relaxed atmosphere for children, which in return helps assist with their treatment and recovery. Nominated by Simon Pegg.
- St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, an organization that is leading the way in advancing cures for childhood cancer and other life-threatening diseases. Nominated by Susan Nimoy in honor of Leonard Nimoy.
The campaign runs until 11:59 p.m. PST on September 1st, so you’ll have an entire month to think about all the witty things you’ll say when you hang out with the cast, like “There’s coffee in that nebula” or “If we’re going to be damned, let’s be damned for what we really are.”