In case you didn’t know:
Women do write about comics, guys. Seriously, a lot.
Our beat is comics, creators, and geek culture from a feminist perspective. We are committed to intersectionality and internationality (our diverse staff hails from Canada, the UK, Switzerland, Brazil, and the United States). And while we’re an unabashedly feminist, unapologetically ladies-first operation, we have a healthy contingent of cis men reading, as well as women and non-binary folks. We must be doing something right…right?
We are currently seeking:
A woman who is passionate about comics, media, popular culture, feminism, geek culture, and grammar! We strive to maintain a balanced professional, safe, and fun space for women to discuss and engage with comics and other aspects of geek culture. As a copyeditor you will join the WWAC family and play an incredibly important role in maintaining the professionalism of our site. You will use your writing ability and passion for grammar to help our writers find their voice. You will take great work and use the magic of editing to make it superb. You will be working closely with the Copy Chief, Christine Atchison, and other members of WWAC writing and editorial team to deliver news, reviews, and opinions with a feminist focus from and to the geekosphere.
- Strong writing ability
- Thorough knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style
- A desire to use your passion for grammar to make great writing even better
- A desire to improve writing skills through constructive criticism and dialogue
- A feminist interested in examining race, class, ableism, gender, etc. in geekdom
What we expect:
- You are great at responding to emails promptly.
- You love geeks, even if their fandom is different than yours.
- You love grammar.
- You love reading.
- You love teaching and being taught.
- You can commit to at least 4 hours of copyediting a week.
- You are open to the possibility of contributing passionate articles to the site.
- You care about the current state of Geekdom enough to stand up and try to change it.
What we can offer you:
WWAC is an amazing forum for feminist examination of geek culture. As a copyeditor and (if you like) an occasional writer, you would be a part of a supportive community of women who will help you develop your writing and editing ability. By helping us be our best we can help you reach your goals and be your best.
To make the best decision of your life and apply:
Send the following five items to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A description of yourself and your flavor of feminism.
- Areas of expertise and levels of expertise.
- Examples of your editing and/or writing. This could be your tumblr, writing samples, your blog, posts for other sites, etc. The more the merrier.
- What’s your availability?
- What do you hope to get out of being a part of the WWAC team?