Canada’s first superhero, Johnny Canuck, is returning to print, thanks to the efforts of comics historian Rachel Richey — get in on the ground floor by supporting the project’s Kickstarter.
As of writing, the Kickstarter has already raised $10,020 of its requested $23,000, and with thirty-two days left in the campaign, there’s plenty of time to meet its base or even stretch goals. The list of Canadian artists contributing to the project is pretty impressive. As with the Nelvana of the Northern Lights reprint that Richey headed with Hope Nicholson, she’s managed to get quite a roster on board to create original art:
Leonard Kirk, Francis Manapul, Kalman Andrasofzky, Scott Hepburn, Marco Rudy, Andy Belanger, David Cutler, Scott Chantler, Ray Fawkes, Jeff Lemire, Ramon Perez, Marcus To, Cary Nord, Jason Loo, Marcio Takara, and Darwyn Cooke.
Here’s the breakdown:
- $10 CAD gets you a touched up copy of the first issue of Johnny Canuck
- $15 CAD gets you a PDF of the complete Johnny Canuck
- $20 gets you a print
- $25 gets you a softcover
- $60 gets you the whole package
- At $30,000 softcovers are upgraded to hardcovers
- At $35,000 a bonus issue of Thunderfist will be included with all mailed rewards
If you’re still not convinced, I recently spoke with Rachel about the project and the challenges that are involved in reprinting comics. She’s pretty passionate.
Now go on and get yourself some Canadian comics.