This position has been filled.
You don’t need to be a pro, but you do need to have background in geek/culture writing, and in managing people. You’ll also need a working knowledge of journalistic ethics (libel, conflict of interest, fair use/dealing, how to source and credit images), and SEO (just a smidge, really).
Your Responsibilities Would Include:
- Writing news!
- Planning, assigning, and developing stories.
- Verifying facts, dates, and sources.
- Copyediting quick-response news articles, and news roundups. (Chicago)
- Monitoring social media.
- Participating in weekly editorial meetings.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Is a newshound who’s passionate about comics, culture, and journalism.
- Is comfortable with WordPress, Google Drive, and Photoshop (or equivalent).
- Has a contact list full of solid bloggers and freelancers (or is a talented networker).
- Is excited about working with WWAC as we grow online and move into print (yup, that’s the goal).
- Is an intersectional feminist progressive who grooves with our core values.
- Has daytime EST availability.
We Can Offer You:
- A small, highly-collaborative editorial team and a no-bullshit work environment.
- The chance to build big, collaborative projects with our writers and editors.
- Freedom to manage and shape your section (mostly) as you see fit.
- Press access and interview opportunities.
- Digital previews and ARCs.
- No money though. Not yet. (We’re all waiting on that.)
To apply, fill out the form below. No resumes or cover letters, please.[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]